Monday, July 25, 2011

There Is A Difference Between Being Silent and Being Stifled

"In the end we are all separate: our stories, no matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge. We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect."
There are so many times when each of us feels a need to stay within the boundaries of conformity because we don't wish to offend or challenge the sensibilities of another.

It's safer to say nothing or silently disagree with those who forcefully offer us their opinion because we don't see or feel a need to fight. However, there is a difference between being silent and being stifled.

Your thoughts and opinions are every bit as important as those around you, and you must not allow yourself to be silenced just because your opinion does not meet with majority approval; thereby causing tension.

God created man in His image, but he never said that every man would be, think, or live in a like-minded way—he gave all of us free agency—we were meant to be individualistic in thought and action.

A few weeks back I got into a conversation with an Atheist who simply refused to understand why I held a belief in God. I stated my beliefs clearly, but the individual persisted and, at some points, rudely insinuated that this belief made me less intelligent. I politely disagreed and let them know that their opinion is their opinion, but I no longer felt a need to defend my truth to a person who wasn't willing to respect it.

This world is divisive in its makeup due to the presence of different religions, socio-economic statuses, political leanings, ethnicities, and races. None of us have exactly the same experiences in this life, so none of us will agree with everything each other has to say. That said, the most important thing to remember is to always respect others opinions, and expect the same of them for yourself.

Their voice is no more or less important than yours. Don't ever be afraid to be heard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. That had to be a tough position to be in. Kudos to you for always handling yourself with grace & class. Biting your tongue isn't easy - i'm the poster child for failure in that department.

Lots of wisdom here Kim, thanks for that today ;)

Kimberley Nash said...

Oh trust me, I have my moments too :) It's a daily struggle for me to remain focused on being driven from the inside, not the out, but I take it all as a learning experience.