Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sunday Soundcheck: Cigarettes and Coffee

Otis Redding made it into my mother's rotation a lot, and if you think back on movies you've seen over the years, his catalog is laced throughout so many classic movies: "Love Man" and "These Arms of Mine" were showcased in Dirty Dancing. "Try A Little Tenderness" was featured in grand fashion in the 80's blockbuster Pretty In Pink, and "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay" has been in more films than I can name.

Otis was a staple of 60's soul music and he died far too soon.

The thing I love so much about him is how he made you feel when he sang, his music touched you at the very base of your soul.  You just knew he was in love with every lyric and he wanted you to be in love with it too. He was a phenomenal artist, with a talent unmatched, and his influence in R&B music is undeniable.

Although I had tons of Otis to choose from, I chose the following track because when I first heard it a few years back, in a movie no less, I had never heard it before and it struck a definite chord. I just knew it had to be a part of my collection!

It's both beautiful and haunting in it's delivery and message as he pours his heart out to his woman—a woman who has yet to make the decision whether or not she wants to be his love for a lifetime. So, he's stating his case to her over "Cigarettes and Coffee".

Love it. Love it. LOVE! IT!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My parents loved 50's & 60's Doo Wop, Beach music & Motown. We were raised on Otis Redding. In fact at me & Jeff's wedding reception that's all we played. We danced to Otis' These Arms Of Mine. Great stuff!

Here's a playlist i loop all the time at work with so much of the music we played at our reception & still do around our house. Love it!

http://pl.st/p/21815288587